I love Super Bowl Sunday and this is the first year that I actually understand football enough to understand the game! (Thanks, husband!) I’ve been a hockey, lacrosse, and soccer girl my entire life and proud of it. My Dad never took the time to explain football like he did hockey, lacrosse, and soccer and I’ve been totally fine with that. Not that my Dad isn’t a football fan. My entire family are die-hard Buffalo Bills fans. And I have always considered myself one too, but it did not mean that I actually understood the first thing about the sport.
Then I found myself in the fifth year in a relationship, with my now husband, not really understanding football at all. At the time, Mike was the champion of his fantasy football league, lived and breathed all things football, played multiple games of Daily Fantasy, and would talk about it all. the. time, so I felt like it was a good idea to at least try to care about what he was so passionate about.
Fast-forward to today- I’ve been to three NFL games and find myself really enjoying the sport! Who would’ve thunk!
Anyway, what this post is really about. Healthy Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip?!
YES. I was determined. This was a staple dish in my childhood, adolescence, and early adult-hood living in Upstate, Western New York. But it’s always been something I’ve eaten, loved, but then made me feel really, really bad about myself afterwards. So I set out on a mission to make this dish and make it less terrible for you.
Here’s my take on Buffalo Wing Dip, a version that is still spicy, creamy, and delicious. You could make this entirely vegan by just using sweet potatoes and maybe adding some cauliflower. I haven’t tried that, but I’m sure it would be great.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip
*Please note, I used my beloved Instant Pot to make this dish. I’m certain you could make it in a Crock Pot it would obviously take a little longer for the Chicken and Sweet Potatoes to get tender, probably around 1-2 hours.*
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (frozen or thawed, doesn’t matter if you’re using the Instant Pot)
- 1-2 Sweet Potatoes, cubed
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 12oz bottle Noble Buffalo Hot Sauce (this version is on the more expensive side, but it’s filled with no weird ingredients and delicious but regular old Frank’s will do the job perfectly as well!)
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 5 oz Dairy Free Cream Cheese (I used Tofutti Herb Chive but brands like Kite Hill- their Jalepeno flavor would be perfect, Daiya, Trader Joe’s, etc work great too)
- 1 tbsp Vegan Mayo (I used Sir Kensington’s Avocado Oil Mayo)
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast, divided
- Place the chicken, sweet potato, and garlic in the Instant Pot, pour entire bottle of hot sauce on top. Set the Instant Pot to “Sealing” and press “Manual” high pressure for 15 minutes. Manually release the pressure once it’s finished.
- Stir in the Cream Cheese, Mustard, 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast, and Mayo and shred the Chicken with two forks.
- Transfer Mixture to a casserole dish, top with remaining Nutritional Yeast and Bake at 400 for 15-20 mins until the dip is bubbling
Serve with sliced celery, carrots, and tortilla chips!
With a bit of sweetness from the sweet potatoes, this dish is unique, satisfying and won’t hurt your waistline!