I decided to make this dish last minute before I hosted my Friends-giving dinner and it ended up being a HIT!
I adapted this recipe from my favorite cooking magazine, Cooking Light, to be Vegan and Gluten-Free and it was probably my favorite side dish. My friend commented on it’s creaminess and wouldn’t believe me when I told him that there was absolutely zero dairy in it!
This is a healthier Green Bean Casserole that won’t make your tummy hurt! Enjoy!
Green Bean Casserole with Cauliflower Cream
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup Avocado (or Olive) Oil, divided
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 lb green beans cut in half
- About 1 cup of Cauliflower Rice (I used frozen, but you could use fresh, or regular cauliflower chopped ~ 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup full fat canned Coconut Milk
- 1 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast, plus a sprinkle to top
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2-2 1/2 cups torn Gluten-Free bread (I used Udi’s)
Combine onion, 2 tablespoons oil, and green beans in a cast iron skillet and cook until green beans have cooked through, slightly browned.
Meanwhile, you’ll be making the cauliflower cream mixture. Bring cauliflower, coconut & almond milk, water, nutritional yeast, garlic, and thyme to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook for about 20 mins. Transfer mixture to a blender, add nutmeg, and puree. (Try NOT to lick the entire container clean while doing this, because it’s THAT delicious…)
Place green bean mixture at the bottom of a 11×7 baking baking dish, add cauliflower cream, top with chopped bread, drizzle a little oil on top with a extra sprinkle of nutritional yeast. Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy!
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!